Monday, June 21, 2010

"Heartbeats"

"Heartbeats" by Swedish synth pop group, The Knife, is one of my favorite songs of all time. I understand that a big reason as to why the song became popular in America is due to Jose Gonzáles's acoustic cover of the song, but I just don't like it. I'm not even one of these people that hates covers, much less stripped down covers. There are these trolls that hover over youtube day and night, slamming every cover version under the sun, creating inane arguments for us to all read and cringe over. I certainly dislike them more than I do his version of the song. I am totally cool with the idea of reimaging songs in this fashion. That being said, I'm sorry but his cover is lifeless and boring and actually puts my love of the original in danger because it makes me think of how the song essentially could have been a boring folk song first, that was just simply reworked with synthesizers. I of course know better than to give into this idea, but his version does stir this which is unfortunate. Here are both versions of the song in question.

No comments:

Post a Comment