Tuesday, March 9, 2010

No Room For Music at the Oscars

The 82nd Annual Academy Awards was probably the most ass-backwards ceremony I've seen presented in terms of priorities. Several key elements that make the Oscars so exciting were played down considerably or jettisoned completely. The broadcast still ran long but that was because they cluttered up the show with pointless detours like the presentation of the best actor/actress awards, which featured about twenty minutes of ass kissing (as if these people needed to be told they're great - I mean they're already nominated!)

The reason why the Oscar ceremony is relevant to this blog, is because of the complete desertion of the performances from the best original song category. While all five nominees were not always something I was chomping at the bit to hear, it still gave the audience a fair chance to pick which song they believed to be the best. There were many years where I had my preconceptions as to what song should win based on the reputation of either the performer of the filmmaker, only to have my opinion change after I heard all five nominees perform. It was one of several irksome omissions in this year's ceremony that made it one of the dullest I have seen in years (despite having two great hosts in Steve Martin and Alec Baldwin). To commemorate the loss of the music segments, I have posted here a few of my favorite Oscar nominees for Best Song in a Motion Picture performed live at the Academy Awards (where I could find them.




I couldn't get the Oscars performance but this music video is great.

No comments:

Post a Comment