Wednesday, March 10, 2010

The Beginning Of Noise Rock

I just realized the other day while listening to a Time-Life compilation featuring the top hits of 1964, that I get a similar sensation listening to The Shangri-La's "The Leader Of The Pack", that I do listening to any given Sonic Youth noise freak out. As I was checking CD's in the Rock section of the record store, I found myself switching into auto-pilot where I sort of don't really notice what I'm doing, or listening to, fully. I found myself grooving to the dissonance of the tires screeching, a sound similar to that of Lee Rinaldo's tortured guitar work, when I suddenly remembered I was listening to 60's pop music - something I love, but a completely different part of my brain (or so I thought) than the part that enjoys noise rock. It wasn't that profound, as the idea of mixing girl group pop with guitar noise has been common place since Psychocandy (1985), but it's an interesting thought to think that perhaps the realm of noise pop begins with this girl group classic. Try listening to the coda of "Leader Of The Pack" followed by the middle section of "Silver Rocket" as the hook begins to fight its way back through the noise beginning at 2:23 to see what I mean. For a more direct example of girl group meeting feedback frenzy, see "Never Understand" by The Jesus And Mary Chain on the bottom.



The Jesus and Mary Chain - Never Understand

.:Çésar:.™® | MySpace Video

No comments:

Post a Comment