Sunday, May 16, 2010

RIP Ronnie James Dio

When I was a freshman in high school, my friend Chris used to drive me home frequently. A close friend to everyone in my family, he had just gotten his teaching degree and was working at another school close to where I went. On these rides, he used to blast a wide array of tunes - some good, some bad...always diverse. One day when flipping from some Beastie Boys to Machine's "There But For The Grace Of God Go I", Chris pulled out a metal mix, on which the main star was the great Ronnie James Dio. The CD contained tracks by Black Sabbath, Elf, Rainbow, and of course his titular band, Dio. For years since, RJD has been my go to man for rambunctious, dramatic, classic metal. I'm saddened by his passing and hope his legacy will live on, especially in car rides home from school. Here is a clip of my favorite Dio song.

No comments:

Post a Comment