Sunday, January 10, 2010

"One More Time!"


Is it inevitable that all defunct bands will reunite? The insane amount of reunions over the past decade has reached a point where my senses are dulled by it. I didn't even bat an eye when I read recently that Soundgarden are to finally reunite. If you ask me, they're a bit late in the game; even Alice In Chains got back together quicker despite the fact the most crucial member is dead (sorry Jerry Cantrell). In the case of Cornell and Co., all four members of the final lineup of the group seem to be on board (despite Matt Cameron's busy schedule). The worst I find is when bands of such notable cohesive origins dwindle in original lineup content, yet insist on holding on to the moniker that made them famous (e.g. Echo & The Bunnymen; The Who). Do they really think no one will show up to their gigs if they don't hold on to their former bands' name? Rather than continuing to bash those that do this, I'll take this moment to commend Bernard Sumner and Stephen Morris for giving their new Peter Hook-less project a new name, Bad Lieutenant, rather than continuing to use New Order, a move that holds true to the band's legacy. They knew that time was over and that it was better to let a great band die rather than tarnish its reputation with stubbornness.

People often ask me, "wouldn't you just die for a Smiths reunion?". Absolutely not. It would be a total lie first off, knowing that Morrissey has stated for years he has no interest in such foolishness. Secondly, I'm completely satisfied with the legend of the band. I would not want there to be a Smiths existing in the 2010's. They belong to the years 1983-87, and I would sooner die then see their name reduced to a mere nostalgia act. In closing, I am forever grateful to bands like the Pixies, Blur, Dinosaur Jr, and Mission Of Burma, for reuniting with grace and carefulness. As for recent cash ins like The Police and a Jello Biafra-less Dead Kennedys, I wish they could have just kept it a legend.

No comments:

Post a Comment