Friday, January 22, 2010

When In Season

It's interesting how seasonal music can be. There are just some records that don't sound as good in the winter as they do in the summertime and vice versa. Try to imagine the razor sharp sear of Psychocandy on a scorching summer's day. Doesn't quite fit does it? That's how it was for me the day I first listened to that album from beginning to end...It really didn't start sinking in with me until the fall. Likewise, the audio adventure of The Avalanches' Since I Left You sort of falls flat in the frosty months of the winter, yet the album is immortal as soon as the sun sets later in the day. I feel day and night is just as crucial. When I was listening to Zen Arcade on my way to work the other day, it was surprisingly leaving me cold. However, when I turned the car back on afterward and got on the highway, I felt like I owned the road. It's a shame great music can't just be great at all times, but the seasonal enhancement is also what makes it so exciting and unpredictable.

No comments:

Post a Comment