Monday, October 4, 2010

Beck & Bat For Lashes - "Let's Get Lost"

For someone who hasn't seen any of the Twilight movies, I sure am on a twisted kick of the films' soundtracks (must be the fall). Last week, I spoke of the haunting Lykke Li track, "Possibility" featured in New Moon. This week I find myself stricken from the Beck/Bat For Lashes collaboration from Eclipse. Natasha Khan enters the song with the line "Touch me I'm cold", her voice cascading across a humming synth and cool atmosphere. Khan's voice always sounds shivering as if from the depths of a cave - this performance might be her most affecting with that aesthetic. The second verse is taken by Beck, using plenty of reverb as has become his usual calling card for his 00's balladry. The instrumentation remains sparse throughout, yet powerful, focusing mainly on a mood that is unsure but hopeful. The song has a feel to it that would make it right at home in a climactic scene from an 80's teen drama, as the protagonist and the girl he loves finally work through their differences. The fact that it's connected to a saga about vampires is a little disappointing because the tone of the song feels a lot more real than that. Perhaps the movies are more human than I realize, and should maybe go see what I'm missing. Until then, this song shall suffice.

No comments:

Post a Comment