Thursday, September 16, 2010

Kristina Stapelfeld Finalist In Pavement Contest

Late Night With Jimmy Fallon has been hosting a competition for young scrapping guitar players to send in videos of themselves in an effort to be picked to play alongside everyone's favorite indie rockers, Pavement, for one evening. Out of what I can assume were thousands of submissions, my friend Kristina was chosen as a finalist (along with four others).


Kristina writes her own songs, and her cover here of "Shady Lane" carries the same delicate sweetness of her own work. The competition is kind of a mixed bag, and it makes me wish I had sent in a video of myself playing "Perfume-V" with a cat in my lap or while jogging. There's a guy also playing "Shady Lane" who used a four panel screen to show himself playing all the parts of the song. It's not bad but he actually plays the song incorrectly which I guess would probably matter given the context. There's a rather out of tune bedroom performance of "You Are A Light" by one guy, someone playing a sloppy guitar solo over "Fin", and a father playing "Grave Architecture" in a bath tub while his son dances around in a monkey costume. Needless to say, I voted for Kristina but would have even if I didn't know her. Tune in September 23rd to see if she pops up.

Here's the link to vote.

1 comment: