Thursday, November 26, 2009

So Tonight I Did In Fact See

Tonight I revisited Mazzy Star's 1993 sophomore album, So Tonight I Might See. I bought this album one late August afternoon years ago, in hopes to soak up the last fragment's of summer's majesty. It ended up backfiring, as the prettiness of the songs seemed to mock me while the days gradually became shorter, foretelling the bleakness ahead. Sorry for the melodrama, but I just flat out hate winter, yet love New York, catching me in a cruel juxtaposition. Needless to say, I wasn't really into the album. I of course loved "Fade Into You" (the reason why anyone buys this record), and there were definitely a handful of songs I found pleasant enough, but I just wasn't in the mood. I've always known the time of year in which I bought it played a part in my opinion and I have listened to it several times since, trying to find a new emotion with variations of success. Tonight though I feel has been the first time I've listened to it with a clear head. The album is still not a great record, but it still is a worthy lesson. The songs sound like they were recorded in a sauna, reflecting the warm, relaxing state of mind on par with the aftermath of a cleansing shower. The keyboard on "Blue Light" is the musical equivalent of the glow coming from Hope Sandoval's bedroom. "Five String Serenade" captures a pleasant stillness that seems to evoke domestic outdoor imagery, like a park or a backporch. Many of these tunes drift in very nicely. The tracks that still don't bode well are the experimental excursions ("Mary of Silence"; "So Tonight That I Might See"). They are certainly valiant efforts at going beyond the Cowboy Junkies route, but they just come off boring, not really achieving any clear image or idea. The album's bluesy detours fit surprisingly well though ("She's My Baby"; "Wasted"). Slow and slinky, they manage to stay within the album's frame while being able to add a little beef via distortion. All in all, it's a worthwhile listen and I think it may finally be time to move on to Among My Swan.

No comments:

Post a Comment